HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » BlackBerry maker Research...

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:27 PM

BlackBerry maker Research in Motion agrees to hand over its encryption keys to India

Source: The Economic Times (India)

BlackBerry maker Research in Motion's (RIM) four-year standoff with the Indian government over providing encryption keys for its secure corporate emails and popular messenger services is finally set to end.

RIM recently demonstrated a solution developed by a firm called Verint that can intercept messages and emails exchanged between BlackBerry handsets, and make these encrypted communications available in a readable format to Indian security agencies, according to an exchange of communications between the Canadian company and the Indian government.

This satisfies India's core demand that RIM provide intelligence and security agencies with automatic solutions to monitor all communication on BlackBerry smartphones on a real-time basis, an official aware of the development said.

... A telecom department official also confirmed that corporate emails would form part of the services that the government will be able to monitor.

Read more: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/news-by-industry/telecom/blackberry-maker-research-in-motion-agrees-to-hand-over-its-encryption-keys-to-india/articleshow/15319701.cms

2 replies, 623 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply BlackBerry maker Research in Motion agrees to hand over its encryption keys to India (Original post)
Newsjock Aug 2012 OP
onehandle Aug 2012 #1
Mutt22 Aug 2012 #2

Response to Newsjock (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:30 PM

1. RIM is going down the tubes. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Newsjock (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:33 PM

2. I have been

continually disappointed with my BB as time goes by. I used to really be a fanboy but those days are gone.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread