Thu Aug 2, 2012, 06:18 PM
Wait Wut (8,492 posts)
Go ahead, tax me.
12 years ago I was making three times what Iím making now. I paid taxes. I still pay taxes, but not nearly what I was 12 years ago. I wish I could pay more, because...
...do you know what else I was doing 12 years ago?
1. Taking two vacations (real ones) a year with my son. Nothing too fancy. Fishing, hiking, camping, etc. to different states. Stops to historic sites and the occasional amusement park.
2. Taking road trips on a regular basis. Nothing to do? Hell, letís jump in the car and see where we end up for the weekend.
3. Going to movies. In a theater.
4. Going out to dinner. Nice dinners where I had to actually wear something besides jeans.
5. Buying birthday presents for damn near everyone I knew, and didn't know.
6. Giving money to charity. Much more than I do now.
7. Driving a new car that didnít scare the hell outta me every morning on my way to work.
8. Helping out friends and family when they needed it.
9. Going to a doctor thanks to a super awesome health insurance plan that included vision and dental. Iíd even go when there was nothing wrong with me just to make sure I was all good. Thatís how I found out I had cancer. Well check. Awesome lifesaving miracle.
10. Eating healthy. My son would actually complain if I had to work late and we ordered a pizza. Eating healthy tasted good and made us feel better. It was also really expensive.
11. Buying clothes. I didnít have to do laundry twice a week because I ran out of things to wear. I even had a functional winter coat that fit.
12. Going to a gym twice a week. I miss that the most, I think.
13. Not worrying about how to pay the bills. I knew Iíd have plenty left over.
Thatís the sad 13. Despite paying Ďmoreí taxes I still had plenty left to do what I wanted and needed. Donít try to tell me that some twit with millions stashed in international accounts is going to suffer if he/she needs to cough up a few thousand more in taxes. Thatís insane. Sickening, really.
Iíd be happy to join that higher tax bracket once again. I really, really need a vacation.
2 replies, 638 views
Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Response to ErikJ (Reply #1)
Thu Aug 2, 2012, 07:41 PM
Wait Wut (8,492 posts)
2. Graphic artist, then and now.
But, different locations and different type of work. Lived in Chicago but thought moving to Arizona would be better for my health (I had/have lots of stupid health issues). I was wrong.