HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Romney wants to "sne...

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 02:48 PM

Romney wants to "sneak into the White House all but unexamined by voters"

Michael Tomasky on Mitt Romneyís NaÔve Evasion Strategy

From his tax returns to his slippery policy proposals, Romney is doing everything he can to fend off serious scrutiny. Can a master of prevarication make it into the White House?

Iíve been pounding away at Mitt Romneyís lack of spine on the basis of his unprecedented reversals of position. We have never in modern American history had a presidential nominee who, as he ascended from the state to the national level, changed so many positions so shamelessly. But thatís not the only manifestation of his weakness. Take the three issues of his lack of specificity about the policies he supports, his inaccessibility to the press, and his refusal to release his tax returns. These highlight another aspect of the problem, one thatís no less telling and serious: His desire to sneak into the White House all but unexamined by voters.

Even Bill Kristol has complained that Romney is on ďautopilotĒ and is not laying out a serious and clear vision. Romney hasnít said what tax loopholes heíll close or what federal programs heíll slash. He then tries to argue that to do so would be foolish, like a football coach posting his playbook online (my metaphor, not his, but itís the essence of what he says).

The problem goes beyond lists of loopholes or programs to the elements that constitute what we usually call a politicianís vision. What heís going to do to fuel manufacturing, to spur innovation, to improve education; what he sees as the two or three main economic priorities for the next decade; where he will shift and direct federal resources; we know none of this. It may all exist on his web site in small and bromidic doses, but mostly what he says on the stump is that that Obama fellow is an awful anti-capitalist and I, Romney, will unleash the power of the free market and trust me, everything will light up guns-ablazing.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/02/michael-tomasky-on-mitt-romney-s-na-ve-evasion-strategy.html

10 replies, 1185 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Romney wants to "sneak into the White House all but unexamined by voters" (Original post)
Liberal_in_LA Aug 2012 OP
MindMover Aug 2012 #1
MADem Aug 2012 #2
aint_no_life_nowhere Aug 2012 #3
RedStateLiberal Aug 2012 #4
ProSense Aug 2012 #5
RedStateLiberal Aug 2012 #9
1StrongBlackMan Aug 2012 #7
drm604 Aug 2012 #6
nichomachus Aug 2012 #8
Trillo Aug 2012 #10

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Original post)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 02:49 PM

1. More like installed in the house painted white ....

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 02:51 PM

2. Well, he can join the press pool like Jeff Gannon and do just that!

Or, he can write to John Kerry and get on the list for a White House tour!

But I will continue to work my ass off to make sure he doesn't get to the WH for anything more than a brief visit.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:04 PM

3. He's the scariest candidate I've seen in my lifetime

even scarier than Barry Goldwater. Yes, he's an idiot who can't relate to real humans and he flip flops on everything as casually as you or I breathe. But it's the fact that he has hidden his entire past, as Governor, as head of the Olympics, at Bain and has even hidden the names of his bundlers that is most disconcerting. Since he doesn't even release specifics as to his proposed policies there's no way to tell who will influence him if he makes it to the White House, what wars he would start up, what civil rights he would affect with Tea Party influence, or what economic austerity measures he would put in place.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:06 PM

4. What makes him think he'll get away with this strategy?

Maybe Rmoney knows his campaign and his super-pacs will be able to flood the airways with ads and voter suppression efforts will give him the edge he needs. Or maybe it's even more sinister and he knows the election is rigged. I'm just speculating.

Then again, it's probably that he's just an arrogant asshole who thinks people hate Obama so much they'll vote for anyone else. That may be true with his base, but no way that wins him the election. Despite a weak economy, elections are a choice and I just can't see people voting for such an empty suit who is also a blatant liar and whose economic plan is all about helping the rich more and screwing the middle class.

Reply to this post

Response to RedStateLiberal (Reply #4)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:16 PM

5. There are

those who are trying their best to save Mitt's campaign, trying to give him an assist.

Factchecking organizations defending him against Obama's criticisms, or as they call them "lies."

Media outlets defending him against Obama's criticism, also know as "swiftboating."

People yelling "look over there," Obama does it too.

People yelling "nothing to see here."

Where are his tax returns?

Reply to this post

Response to ProSense (Reply #5)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:34 PM

9. Yep, true.

But I doubt they can keep covering for him all the way to election day. If he snubs their interviews the media may turn on him. There very may well be a corporate influence there but in the end the media cannot survive without ratings and sales.

Some of Mitt's negatives do filter through. I'm pretty sure even the Faux News sheep know Rmoney refuses to release his tax returns and that he acted like a twit in Europe.

I think most people know there are questions about his record at Bain after the O-team said he may be a felon. It caused controversy and the media is obsessed with conflict. They need to keep hitting him with accusations that put him on the defensive - like Harry Reid is doing. When those on the right get 'outraged' over something - then it gets coverage.

Reply to this post

Response to RedStateLiberal (Reply #4)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:20 PM

7. Because he's ...

Not the Black candidate!

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:16 PM

6. He's depending on the "anyone but Obama" voters. They don't care about Romney's accomplishments.

So he's just restricting pretty much everything about himself rather than risking anything negative getting out.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 03:28 PM

8. Would you buy a used car without the CarFax? N/t

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 09:26 PM

10. That's what explains his contradictory positions.

By confusing everyone, by making opposite statements, i.e., lots of BS, he never reveals his true position.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread