HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Dear Customers of Chick-f...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:08 PM

Dear Customers of Chick-fil-A

http://www.kyleankney.com/home/2012/8/1/dear-customers-of-chick-fil-a.html

If I asked you to define normal, without the use of a dictionary, could you do it? From a textbook standpoint, you probably could. But what if I asked you to define someone’s lifestyle as normal... Could you do it? Probably not. The fact of the matter is, no one person has the same life. Because of that, it makes it impossible for an outsider to define “normal’. Because the concept of normal is relative.

This whole blog is amazing.

30 replies, 3248 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 30 replies Author Time Post
Reply Dear Customers of Chick-fil-A (Original post)
RockaFowler Aug 2012 OP
Faygo Kid Aug 2012 #1
NYC_SKP Aug 2012 #2
Faygo Kid Aug 2012 #9
LARED Aug 2012 #3
DearAbby Aug 2012 #5
LARED Aug 2012 #11
part man all 86 Aug 2012 #18
LARED Aug 2012 #21
joeybee12 Aug 2012 #22
LARED Aug 2012 #30
Trunk Monkey Aug 2012 #26
uppityperson Aug 2012 #7
LARED Aug 2012 #12
uppityperson Aug 2012 #15
joeybee12 Aug 2012 #23
LARED Aug 2012 #29
Trunk Monkey Aug 2012 #27
girl gone mad Aug 2012 #10
LARED Aug 2012 #13
Jawja Aug 2012 #24
cloudbase Aug 2012 #4
Egalitariat Aug 2012 #6
uppityperson Aug 2012 #8
abelenkpe Aug 2012 #14
Egalitariat Aug 2012 #16
Puglover Aug 2012 #28
RZM Aug 2012 #17
Hippo_Tron Aug 2012 #20
Zoeisright Aug 2012 #19
Jeff In Milwaukee Aug 2012 #25

Response to RockaFowler (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:10 PM

1. Plus, I'm divorced. I'm not welcome there, either.

After 18 years, and now with my current (and lifelong) girl for 17 years, but that's not good enough to eat their "chiken," either. I will spend my money elsewhere.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Faygo Kid (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:12 PM

2. Me, too. And, I prefer to hang with people who DON'T have to spell their foods phoenetically.

Series.

Reply to this post

Response to NYC_SKP (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:13 PM

9. That's hugh.

Thanks.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:38 PM

3. I think this blogger misses the point of the support Chick-fil-a event

As I understand the freedom of speech / tolerance issue all started because some government officials made clear statements that they would like to restrict Chick-fil-a from doing business because of the owners personal views.

That is frankly dangerous and intolerant. I don't care what a business owners personal views are the government should never step in to restrict business operators from doing business as long as they follow the law.

Reply to this post

Response to LARED (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:42 PM

5. Chick Fil A is not a person...

constitutional rights do not apply here. A Government is not obligated to approve business licence just because a business requested one.

Stop treating a business as a person, with the same inalienable rights.

Active discrimination of an American citizen, should NOT BE TOLERATED ever.

You remember Rand Paul saying he was against the Civil rights law, on Rachel Maddow. I didnt see the support of his idea then as I do today, I have to question, what is the difference between the discrimination of a Black person and the discrimination of a Gay person? Neither one should be tolerated.

Reply to this post

Response to DearAbby (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:30 PM

11. When Chick-fil-a engages in active discrimination

the full force of the law should be applied. Until that happens Chick-fil-a MUST be treated like any other business regarding it's ability to do business, no matter what it's owner may think or support.

Reply to this post

Response to LARED (Reply #11)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:23 AM

18. Yes you are right.

So when the next time a bar in not allowed in town, you will come to their defense right? Or when an abortion clinic is denied their right to have a business in say Knoxville, you will be there as well. Or when the homeless shelters are denied a license to practice their art of compassion you will be there. There many restrictions that a town can deny a business in by civil servants slowing down the paper work or health laws strictly enforced or losing the paperwork or building inspector/code enforcer strict reading of laws, so on. My brother in Atlanta miss one government meeting and had to start all over again to get a warehouse turned into apartments. A three month setback! Why? He was given the wrong time for the meeting.

Reply to this post

Response to part man all 86 (Reply #18)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 06:06 AM

21. I'm going to have to disagree with most of what you state

Towns have a right to create zoning laws within specific guidelines and law to set standards on the types of businesses in their communities. What happened to your brother is typical of petty bureaucracies. I've seen it myself. He was hassled needlessly but not excluded.

Chick-fil-a is a fast food restaurant. If a town want to exclude fast food restaurants, homeless shelters, bars or abortion clinics, they can choose to do that within the law.

When a town starts down the road of trying to deny any business the ability to operate because the viewpoint of it owner is different than the towns elected officials, this is a big problem.

Reply to this post

Response to LARED (Reply #21)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 06:16 AM

22. No, you're missing the point...and thank you for supporting hate...

Did any town/municipality/state actually deny that Chick-fil-A could not come there? No, just high profile people said they would not be welcome...that's simply expressing their disgust with this organization's hate, which you are bending over backwards to justify, making up what happened, and its nauseating...

Reply to this post

Response to joeybee12 (Reply #22)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 06:36 PM

30. You admonished me about reading comprehension. Seriously???

When specifically did I indicate any support for Chick-fil-a's owners position. And specifically when did I make up anything.

Reply to this post

Response to part man all 86 (Reply #18)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 08:24 AM

26. Rahm Emmanuel stated specifically that Chick-Fil-A

wasn't getting a business license because of the owner's personal religious values. Zoning laws were not at issue in this case.

Once that bridge is crossed it becomes a doubled edged sword.

I am not impressed w/ Chick-Fil-A's sandwiches or their owner's religious viewpoint but I dropped 10 bucks in one of their stores last night because I believe that Americans have the right to free expression of their religion.

I also don't believe in penalizing an independent owner/ franchisee for something the guy he bought the license from said.

Edit All that said, odds are I will never eat there again because I can get a better chicken sandwich in the freezer aisle at Safeway /Edit

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:55 PM

7. What government officials "made clear statements they (etc)"?

I've just read of boycotting them because they donate money to anti-gay causes and have practiced job discrimination.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #7)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:33 PM

12. These.....

This week, mayors of Boston, Chicago and San Francisco warned Chick-fil-A and its CEO Dan Cathy, who’s been an outspoken opponent of same-sex marriage, not to pursue new franchises in their cities. Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said he shares his fellow mayors’ concerns and would consider trying to block the chain as well.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/with-chick-fil-a-fight-progressive-mayors-get-their-ground-zero-mosque-moment/2012/07/31/gJQAEqTiLX_blog.html

Reply to this post

Response to LARED (Reply #12)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:41 PM

15. I don't agree with banning them, but with boycotting them. The outcry came from his anti-gay, excuse

me, "family values" talk. I hadn't heard the talk of banning them, thanks for the link.

I agree that banning them is wrong, but any city is free to pursue or not pursue as they wish. And boycotting them for their millions in donations to anti-gay legislation is fine with me.

Reply to this post

Response to LARED (Reply #12)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 06:17 AM

23. Reading comprehension, sweetie..."warned"

Did not deny them, just told them what they thought of them...you're really digging your hole, aren't you?

Reply to this post

Response to joeybee12 (Reply #23)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 06:28 PM

29. Well sweetie. I'm willing to bet if the excerpt said...

This week, mayors of Boston, Chicago and San Francisco warned Chick-fil-A and its CEO Dan Cathy, who’s been an outspoken proponent of same-sex marriage, not to pursue new franchises in their cities. Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl said he shares his fellow mayors’ concerns and would consider trying to block the chain as well

you might have a broader view regarding the meaning of warned.

So just when is it appropriate for high level government official to warn legal businesses not to pursue new franchises in their cities because they dislike the owners viewpoint?

I happen to believe the correct answer is never.

Reply to this post

Response to uppityperson (Reply #7)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 08:29 AM

27. and have practiced job discrimination.

Cite?

Each store is independently owned and I would bet that there are Chick-Fil-A stores owned by gays. I grant they may be rethinking their affiliation with the chain right now but I bet they are out there

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:19 PM

10. Not because of the owner's personal views..

but because the company gives its money to hate groups.

Reply to this post

Response to girl gone mad (Reply #10)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:37 PM

13. see post 12

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 07:58 AM

24. I agree.

This "freedom of spech" brouhaha is a result of cities threatening to restrict business opportunities.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:38 PM

4. It's only abnormal

if i don't do it.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:50 PM

6. I support Chick-Fil-A

Their food is good, service is top notch, and restaurants are clean ad well run. I am sometimes put off by how crowded they are relative to other fast food joints, but that's just a product of their success.

I care as much about their leaders' political views as that of my favorite rock band or actor. The guy that owns my local franchise is a first class dude, but that is also irrelevant when I'm hungry.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitariat (Reply #6)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:04 PM

8. You support businesses that donate millions to actively oppose gay rights issues and marriage?

Thank you for making that clear. It helps us know you better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chick-fil-A
Chick-fil-A gave over $8 million to the WinShape Foundation in 2010. Between 2003 and 2009, the WinShape Foundation gave more than $2 million to groups such as Focus on the Family and Eagle Forum that are politically active in opposing same-sex marriage and other gay rights issues

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:39 PM

14. The spend their money to supress people's rights

Thanks for helping them support hate groups. I'm sure your favorite rock bands don't do the same. But hey enjoy your delicious shame

Reply to this post

Response to abelenkpe (Reply #14)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:52 PM

16. At restaurants, I care about food. With musicians, I care about music. Only with politicians do I

care about politics.

And Chick-Fil-A is the best run fast food joint not named In-N-Out.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitariat (Reply #16)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 08:35 AM

28. This gay man would like to thank you for choosing

a greasy deep fried chicken filet over my civil rights. Your values are something to be admired.

Reply to this post

Response to abelenkpe (Reply #14)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 11:17 PM

17. I see where you're coming from. It's not the same, but you could make some comparisons

Every ticket you buy to a Tom Cruise or John Travolta movie helps fill the coffers at the Church of Scientology. R. Kelly's fans bought him the mansion where he peed on an underage girl as well as the legal team that worked to get the charges dropped.

I think most fans don't really care that much. Maybe they should, but if you like their work, you're probably willing to not worry about where the money goes.

There's something similar going on here. I don't think Chic-Fil-A is all that good in the first place and I try to avoid fast food anyway, so it's not going to be a problem for me not to go there. But I do understand why people who love it would continue to eat there. That's the whole problem with a principled stand. If they were easy, people would take them all the time.

Reply to this post

Response to RZM (Reply #17)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 01:52 AM

20. R Kelly can piss on a girl regardless of whether he's in a trailer or a mansion

And while the Church of Scientology are a bunch of assholes who preach really bad things, their influence is negligible as most of mainstream society sees them as lunatics.

Chik-Fil-A's owners have taken up arms on the wrong side of this generation's Civil Rights struggle. And while the tide may be turning, their side is still very much ahead. No you can't prevent every dime you spend from going to something that's morally reprehensible. But sometimes you just have to take a stand in a battle over right and wrong.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 12:45 AM

19. Thanks a lot.

Your money is going to groups who want to EXECUTE gay people in Uganda. Proud of yourself now?

Buh bye.

Reply to this post

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 08:09 AM

25. So any time you're hungry, you're completely amoral...

Remind me not to hang around you at dinner time.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread