HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » GOP Rep compares contrace...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:45 PM

GOP Rep compares contraception coverage mandate to 9/11, Pearl Harbor

One Republican lawmaker sees August 1, 2012 the day the contraception coverage mandate goes into effect, as one of the darkest days in modern American history.

Pennsylvania Rep. Mike Kelly compared August 1, 2012 to the attacks on Pearl Harbor and the September 11 in a press conference on Capitol Hill Wednesday.

“I know in your mind you can think of times when America was attacked. One is December 7th, that’s Pearl Harbor day. The other is September 11th, and that’s the day of the terrorist attack,” Kelly said, according to NBC. “I want you to remember August the 1st, 2012, the attack on our religious freedom. That is a day that will live in infamy, along with those other dates.”

Beginning Wednesday, private insurers are required to cover contraceptive services in new plans without a co-pay as mandated by the health care reform law. To mark the occasion, several Republicans held a press conference, including several freshman members like Kelly. For months, Republicans have claimed that the mandate is a violation of religious freedom — a debate which played out in Congress earlier this year when Democrats claimed Republicans were waging a “war on women” and Republicans responded that the mandate constituted a “war on religion.”

The rest of the Derp: http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/mike-kelly-contraception-911-pearl-harbor.php?ref=fpblg

12 replies, 1184 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply GOP Rep compares contraception coverage mandate to 9/11, Pearl Harbor (Original post)
WilliamPitt Aug 2012 OP
muntrv Aug 2012 #1
BeyondGeography Aug 2012 #2
JaneyVee Aug 2012 #3
WilliamPitt Aug 2012 #6
VOX Aug 2012 #10
global1 Aug 2012 #4
Oilwellian Aug 2012 #5
tanyev Aug 2012 #7
DearAbby Aug 2012 #8
VOX Aug 2012 #9
Rozlee Aug 2012 #12
spanone Aug 2012 #11

Response to WilliamPitt (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:49 PM

1. Hey Mike! No one is forcing you to take contraception!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:51 PM

2. Why does he hate freedom?

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:52 PM

3. The only way the birth control mandate is like 9/11 is that the GOP couldn't prevent either.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:57 PM

6. Win

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:39 PM

10. Nice one -- welcome to DU!

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:55 PM

4. Drama Queen!!!!!......nt

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:57 PM

5. Stupid fuck n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:00 PM

7. A day that will live in infamy.........Eat Mor Chikin!

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:04 PM

8. Jaw dropping WOW.

Who knew my vagina is under AN ENEMY TERRORIST ATTACK. Those are fighting words, even using references to WAR...tell me now ladies, you still believe there is no war against Women?

I had extra security in my Vagina, as a grown adult woman, I had my vagina under control, there were no terrorist attacks there, Rep Kelly.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:38 PM

9. In T-Bag World History, Japanese planes sunk the U.S.S. Arizona with Ortho-Novum tablets.

This is **INSANE** stuff, so far over the top that it's surreal as shit. How do these teabagging lunatics warrant media coverage for their paranoid wet dreams? I'm deathly sick of hearing all the twisted sewage that emanates from these flaming, ignorant assholes. Here's hoping they secede and live out a miserable "Lord of the Flies" existence without any "satanic gub'mint" in the way. They can all CCW (toddlers too!). and blast away at one another with impunity. Better yet, they can hire Blackwater and Ted Nugent to run their third-world, Bible-thumping sinkhole.

Reply to this post

Response to VOX (Reply #9)

Thu Aug 2, 2012, 10:45 AM

12. Totally awesome rant.

They can eat Chick Fil-A for breakfast, lunch and dinner and be home schooled by teabaggers who go to protest rallies holding up signs that say: THANKS FOX NEWS FOR KEEPING US INFROMED.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:41 PM

11. i wanted to rip my radio out of my car and throw it out the window when i heard that

really, really, really difficult to believe.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread