HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » MoJo: Rep Mike Kelly (R-P...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 03:34 PM

MoJo: Rep Mike Kelly (R-PA) Compares Free Birth Control Day to 9/11

According to Rep. Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), today is a day akin to 9/11 and the Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor. No, really. "I want you to remember Aug. 1, 2012, the attack on our religious freedom," Kelly said at a press conference. "That is a day that will live in infamy, along with those other dates."

Kelly was ranting for the same reason I'm rejoicing—because today is "Free Birth Control Day" in the United States. Today is the day the new mandate requiring health insurers to provide contraception with no co-pay officially goes into effect. And I use the word "free" loosely, since it's not actually free—it's paid for through our premiums, just like other medical services. But once the rule is fully implemented, your out-of-pocket costs for contraception should fall to zero.

Some women won't start benefitting from the new rule until their new plan year begins, which varies by insurer. For me, it kicked in a few months ago, when my insurer agreed to cover the cost of an intrauterine device (IUD) after previously refusing to cover it.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/08/free-birth-control-day-not-all-911?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Motherjones%2Fmojoblog+%28MotherJones.com+%7C+MoJoBlog%29

2 replies, 634 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply MoJo: Rep Mike Kelly (R-PA) Compares Free Birth Control Day to 9/11 (Original post)
Ruby the Liberal Aug 2012 OP
hifiguy Aug 2012 #1
Sandy one Aug 2012 #2

Response to Ruby the Liberal (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 03:57 PM

1. I leave it to Bugs Bunny, who says it well.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Ruby the Liberal (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 04:03 PM

2. Beware

Most people are starting to believe that the Christian right will eventually try to impose their views on Judaism as well as all other religions not of their persuasion. Their plan is to impose a theocracy on this country.This is very disturbing to those who believe in the constitution. Women should beware.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread