HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Wednesday Toon Roundup 3-...

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:53 AM

Wednesday Toon Roundup 3- Music

6 replies, 1146 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wednesday Toon Roundup 3- Music (Original post)
n2doc Aug 2012 OP
ellenfl Aug 2012 #1
HopeHoops Aug 2012 #2
HughBeaumont Aug 2012 #3
Egalitarian Thug Aug 2012 #4
alfredo Aug 2012 #5
raouldukelives Aug 2012 #6

Response to n2doc (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:17 AM

1. love it! eom

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:45 AM

2. That pretty much covers it. Book publishing is taking the same route.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:58 AM

3. Panel 1 wasn't even that for the stuff I listened to.

I'm an underground music fan; back in the 80s, there was no internet and Radio/MTV didn't play anything but the Michael Jacksons, Huey Lewises and Madonnas of the world. So I was pretty much flying blind on a lot of artists. I had to rely on someone else's review or hope I would hear the stuff I liked on crap-reception college radio (aside: you remember THOSE days, right? When you had to park in just the right spot to get good reception, and if you moved, you'd be screwn?).

I lost money on a lot of artists that didn't deserve it, simply because there was no preview system and the labels had you by the short hairs.

Yet with "Free Pass" up there . .... well, let's take the example of SleepyTime Gorilla Museum (RIP). I first discovered them on Audio Galaxy, a now-defunct P2P just like Napster. I downloaded three songs from them for free. That led to

* Me going to see them 5 times at various Cleveland clubs.
* Me buying their albums
* Me buying two T-Shirts.

They earned my money. With the old way, I would have never known about them at all.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:30 AM

4. K&R. Imagine that, reasonable people cooperating and everyone getting what they want. n/t

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:41 AM

5. When my wife was working in Nashville, I saw a lot of small studios based

around a Mac desktop. I remember taking a demo done at a huge studio, and let one of our producer/musician friends play with the demo and the results were better than the large, expensive studio. The results from the big studio weren't bad, but the results from from a computer setup costing less than the cost of the four song demo convinced me the studios were facing a real challenge.

The inexpensive home studio was the first nail in the coffin of the corporate stranglehold of our music. Apple saw what was happening, and told the studios they will have to bend or break. They bent. Apple's solution has helped, but there's still work to be done to further democratize the industry.

Patronize local music and other arts. They speak the emotional language of our culture.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 12:14 PM

6. Love it! nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread