HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The new Batman flick is r...

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 06:50 AM

The new Batman flick is rotten -- and ideologically rotten

Well, it seems Christopher Nolan had hisself an idea, he and his writer-brother Jonathan, when writing this Batman-movie-to-end-all-Batman-movies. They thought they’d angle it so that the populace of Gotham City, finally rebelling against the vicious plutocrats in control and demanding a more just society, would turn instantly into a French Revolution-type mob and go all Robespierre on the rich and powerful...

Because sure enough, the dreadful working class hordes dressed in sinister motley casual-wear—hoodies and the sorta thing—are manipulated by Bane to take back their city. So the first thing they do is buckle down to releasing all the violent psychopathological criminals in the prison—that’s the first thing protesters always do, it’s Step One in the Social Justice Playbook. Then they go around looting violently and attacking women in fur coats...

Still later Bane and the protesters and all the other bad guys have lost. The protester-perps are all kneeling down with their hands clasped behind their heads, guarded by the standing cops, as the cops gaze out manfully at the horizon. Virtue triumphant!

Critics who love and defend the film note the anti-99% rhetoric, but hurry to contextualize it as all part of Christopher Nolan’s dark vision, his wonderfully profound portrayal of a whole world gone mad, which is so great it justifies a certain “provocative” topicality...

Selina Kyle/Catwoman is also unambiguously good in this Batman, because she’s played by Anne Hathaway with her giant doe eyes and schoolgirl pertness, and more importantly, because she renounces “class warfare” at the end. Sickening little scene when Catwoman, portrayed here as battling her way up out of poverty and exploitation, comes upon a looted apartment and shudders with horror at the property damage. A framed photo of a nuclear family has been smashed! It’s unbearable, in a city of poverty and suffering, that the glass in this framed photo of blonde people should get broken!

Then she changes sides and helps Batman save the aristocrats from the tumbrils...

http://exiledonline.com/the-dark-knight-rises-vs-the-99/

6 replies, 993 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply The new Batman flick is rotten -- and ideologically rotten (Original post)
HiPointDem Aug 2012 OP
cali Aug 2012 #1
geckosfeet Aug 2012 #2
exboyfil Aug 2012 #3
Marrah_G Aug 2012 #4
DetlefK Aug 2012 #5
MrScorpio Aug 2012 #6

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 06:51 AM

1. oh for pity's sake.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:03 AM

2. An unambiguously good thief - that's a good one. (Spoiler alert)

Hathaway has one of the best comic relief lines in the movie. Bane was preparing to kill the batman with a shotgun when Hathaway's character uses the cannons on the bat-cycle to destroy him. She unambiguously states (paraphrased) "I don't think I feel as strongly about guns as you do" to the batman.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:38 AM

3. Huge disappointment for me

The Avengers was a much better flick (more believable too). It was truer to its mythos than Batman. What they ultimately did with Bane's character was a travesty. It was like Nolan was channeling Humongous from Road Warrior for Bane, and the surprise ending --- well a great way to burn down two of Batman's greatest foes.

As far as the class warfare going out of control. I would give Nolan something of a break on that. I would argue allowing such a condition and then taking away the authority which maintains it will always lead to an overreaction (this is history). The only counter might be South Africa. Russia, China, France, post Charles I England, and Zimbabwe are examples were the revolution spun out of control.

Even on this board we make lots of jokes about rolling out the guillotine. I can't believe that one of the major party's candidates is such a poster child for what is wrong with this country. Wealth in of itself is not evil, but an unwillingness to do anything to even maintain the society in which the wealth exists is suicidal beyond belief. If Romney wins I cannot imagine what the country will look like in four years.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:42 AM

4. The screenwriters comments really soured me on seeing it

I don't plan to spend a dime on it.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:50 AM

5. Author of article left out half of facts to force his narrative.

Bane calls on the populace to rise up, but could it be, that the lootings are just a result of the absence of any police-force?

Was it the populace or was it Bane who blasted the prison-gates and armed those criminals with assault-rifles?

Was it the populace or was it those criminals who dragged rich people out of their homes?

Was it a spontaneous reaction or were these rich people dragged out and persecuted on orders of Bane?

Was it the populace or the gun-wielding criminals that fought the reemerged police-force?

Is it possible, that reason for Selina Kyle's unease in the "family portrait"-scene is her realization that the uprising she supported not only led to property damage but also hurt people/children?

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 09:08 AM

6. I guess anyone can make up anything that they want to from the movie

Some people aren't that clued in to political thinking. Too bad that they feel as if they have to inflict their BS on the rest of us.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread