HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Human corpses are prize i...

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 06:31 AM

Human corpses are prize in global drive for profits

On Feb. 24, Ukrainian authorities made an alarming discovery: bones and other human tissues crammed into coolers in a grimy white minibus.

Investigators grew even more intrigued when they found, amid the body parts, envelopes stuffed with cash and autopsy results written in English.

What the security service had disrupted was not the work of a serial killer but part of an international pipeline of ingredients for medical and dental products that are routinely implanted into people around the world.

In the U.S. alone, the biggest market and the biggest supplier, an estimated two million products derived from human tissue are sold each year, a figure that has doubled over the past decade.

It is an industry that promotes treatments and products that literally allow the blind to see (through cornea transplants) and the lame to walk (by recycling tendons and ligaments for use in knee repairs). It's also an industry fueled by powerful appetites for bottom-line profits and fresh human bodies.

http://www.iwatchnews.org/2012/07/17/9543/human-corpses-are-prize-global-drive-profits

5 replies, 512 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Human corpses are prize in global drive for profits (Original post)
HiPointDem Aug 2012 OP
LineNew Reply k
HiPointDem Aug 2012 #1
RedRocco Aug 2012 #2
HiPointDem Aug 2012 #3
4th law of robotics Aug 2012 #4
HiPointDem Aug 2012 #5

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 02:36 PM

1. k

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 02:43 PM

2. call me paranoid

but this is why I never check the organ donor box on my ID. I am uninsured and poor, the value of my recycled parts is greater than my value to society.....

Reply to this post

Response to RedRocco (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 05:23 PM

3. it's why i stopped checking it, when i found out it was for-profit.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #3)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 05:59 PM

4. I'm sure all the people waiting for organs will thank you for your brave stand.

Reply to this post

Response to 4th law of robotics (Reply #4)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 06:11 PM

5. sorry; when the social contract is broken, don't expect ordinary people to sign on as sacrificial

lambs for the top 20%.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread