HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Toady spends his career a...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 04:55 AM

Toady spends his career arguing that the rich should have more freedom and is hoisted on his own

petard -- sob, sob.

Cato and the Kochs: A Presignation Letter

As you may have already heard, the Brothers Koch have mounted a campaign to take control of the Cato Institute, where I hang my hat. Now, I have a pretty fantastic day job, which basically consists of reading, writing, and speaking about whatever I find interesting in any given week. And I donít generally subscribe to the popular caricature of the Kochs as supervillains. For a lot of progressives, the Kochs now serve the same function as the Liberal Media does for conservatives: The shadowy elite cabal whose pernicious influence explains why your own common sense views arenít universally embraced, as they otherwise would be by all right-thinking Americans. Obviously, I donít buy that, and in any event, of all the ways wealthy people use money to influence politics, openly sponsoring ideological advocacy seems by far the least pernicious. So if this were ultimately just about an ego contest between the pretty-rich guy (Cato President Ed Crane) and the insanely rich guy (megabillionaire Charles Koch), Iíd be content to keep my head down and scribble away without too much regard for what the nameplate on the top-floor corner office reads. Nothing personal, Ed.

Unfortunately, itís fairly clear already that rather more than that is afoot. As my colleague Jerry Taylor lays out over at Volokh Conspiracy, after years of benign neglect, the Kochs have suddenly decided to use their existing shares in the Institute to attempt to pack the board with loyalists, several of whom are straight-up GOP operatives. To give you an idea: They apparently nominated neocon blogger John ďHindrocketĒ Hindraker of PowerLine. Thereís every indication that they (and their proxies on the board) think Cato would be more useful if it were integrated more tightly into the Koch portfolio of advocacy groupsóAmericans for Prosperity, etc.ófor which it could serve as a source of intellectual ammunition in the ongoing struggle to defeat Barack Obama and the Democratic Party. Indeed, theyíve said as much, more or less verbatim, to the chair of Catoís board. I donít think itís the end of democracy if people want to throw money at that cause, but I doubt Catoís the right place to do it, and I know itís not what I signed up for....

http://www.juliansanchez.com/2012/03/05/cato-and-the-kochs-a-presignation-letter/

9 replies, 1136 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Toady spends his career arguing that the rich should have more freedom and is hoisted on his own (Original post)
HiPointDem Aug 2012 OP
Zalatix Aug 2012 #1
liberalhistorian Aug 2012 #8
HiPointDem Aug 2012 #9
2pooped2pop Aug 2012 #2
JHB Aug 2012 #5
William Seger Aug 2012 #6
Starry Messenger Aug 2012 #3
Locrian Aug 2012 #4
99Forever Aug 2012 #7

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 06:43 AM

1. "And I donít generally subscribe to the popular caricature of the Kochs as supervillains"

Which is why that idiot got submarined by this move, and why the rest of us find it to be not surprising at all.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Zalatix (Reply #1)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 11:39 AM

8. Very true. Seems he was a bit too naive

for his own good. Which is surprising, given his profession of reading and analyzing. Then again, fascination with the ubr-rich, and ascribing automatic character to them simply because they have money, is and has been the downfall of many a person. Conservatives often think that the rich can do no wrong, while liberals often think that the poor and middle-class can do no wrong. Both sides are wrong, in that respect.

Of course, this fucker was one of the ones who claimed, in an institute "report", that teachers actually have no monetary value, that they've been overpaid for decades and that they actually OWE taxpayers millions of dollars; that bastion of cheerful fascism, the Heritage Foundation, released a similar "report" as well. My parents were teachers who worked damned hard and got almost nothing for it, especially considering most of my stepdad's pension is now used for his nursing home care due to early-onset dementia. ONE teacher has more value to society than all of the Cato Institute, Heritage Foundation, and similar "spinners" have, combined, yet they make tons more money for what is, essentially, a useless "service". So FUCK. HIM. He got what he deserved.

We need more liberal think tanks and foundations! Soros and Buffet should get together and develop and implement one.

Reply to this post

Response to liberalhistorian (Reply #8)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 05:27 PM

9. naive? only in that he thought it was fine for the 'little people' but he was special. fuck all

these apologists for power, hope they die in the gutter with the rest of the proles.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 07:22 AM

2. What? Kochs serve same function to right as Liberal media to left?

"I donít generally subscribe to the popular caricature of the Kochs as supervillains. For a lot of progressives, the Kochs now serve the same function as the Liberal Media does for conservatives:"

well, except that the liberal media does not exist and what scarce lefty media there is, is not buying our govt and therefore laws in it's favor.

so, not the same, even a little.

Reply to this post

Response to 2pooped2pop (Reply #2)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:53 AM

5. That's why he's had such a cushy job...

...because he sees superficialities, ponders them lightly, and spins it into designer cotton candy for the Washington Insider set.

Reply to this post

Response to JHB (Reply #5)

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:14 AM

6. +!

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:38 AM

3. Um. That's what they throw the money at things *for*.

He's not exactly a genius, is he.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 08:45 AM

4. thanks

I always wondered what kind of asshats worked in a place like that. Now I know.

Reply to this post

Wed Aug 1, 2012, 10:25 AM

7. I think all of these uber scum need some sauce.

'Cuz predictably they eventually will end up eating each other. This kind of EVIL, PERNICIOUS greed knows no bounds and has no loyalty.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread