HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Anaheim and awesome advoc...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jul 30, 2012, 10:49 AM

Anaheim and awesome advocacy journalism (not-MSM):

~snip~

However, the struggle against structural violence and state-sponsored murder requires honesty. We have to embrace the fact that many incidents of police brutality do not fit nicely into comfortable narratives for middle-class sensibilities. We have to stop trying to turn people into martyrs for the “liberal cause”, and embrace the reality that some of the people murdered by the state were first preyed on by policies like the “War on Drugs” and the prison-industrial complex. Many of the people who wore the “I Am If Troy Davis” t-shirts would cross the street if they saw him and his friends walking towards them. A lot of people who sympathize with the Anaheim community would clutch their purses if they had seen Manuel Diaz walk by. You can’t wrap their stories up nicely and put a bow on them. These are stories of pain and survival in a culture where murder could meet you around any corner. In such a context, and after being ignored for so long, the uprisings are often visceral and intense.

In Dallas, a man named James Harper was killed by police on Tuesday. His mother cried out, “He’s dead over a sack of weed, that’s a damn shame. He’s 31 years old, he’s gone. I won’t see my son no more.” This mother’s tears should be no less devastating just because her son participated in the drug trade. There is a tacit assumption amongst well-meaning people that if the person sold drugs, and was murdered by police, then they deserved their fate. The simple truth is that murdering citizens is not a necessary aspect of policing. As I’ve argued before, in 2011 the entire German police force only fired 85 bullets at civilians, 49 of which were warning-shots. Ultimately, in the U.S. the issue isn’t the murdered or beaten individual, it’s the violence and the institutions that enable it.

~snip~

http://www.orchestratedpulse.com/2012/07/peace-killing-stop-calm-anaheim-solidarity-violent-world/

Be sure to read the final quote from Desmond Tutu's Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech.

3 replies, 612 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 3 replies Author Time Post
Reply Anaheim and awesome advocacy journalism (not-MSM): (Original post)
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 OP
davidcouper Jul 2012 #1
coalition_unwilling Jul 2012 #2
Uncle Joe Jul 2012 #3

Response to coalition_unwilling (Original post)

Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:18 PM

1. How to Improve Police

It looks like we all have some work ahead of us. Police can be improved. But it will not be an easy journey. For insight and direction on how to do this, take a look at my new book and visit my blog, “Arrested Development: A Veteran Police Chief Sounds Off About Protest, Racism, Corruption and the Seven Steps Necessary to Improve Our Nation’s Police” (Amazon.com). And my blog is at http://improvingpolice.wordpress.com/ where I discuss these and other current police improvement issues. Good luck and may we all experience not just good but great policing!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to davidcouper (Reply #1)

Mon Jul 30, 2012, 12:57 PM

2. Hi David and welcome to DU. Do you have any

opinion on what is going on in Anaheim right now?

N.B. I lived in Madison many years ago

Reply to this post

Response to coalition_unwilling (Original post)

Mon Jul 30, 2012, 01:04 PM

3. Kicked and recommended.

Thanks for the thread, coalition_unwilling.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread