HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Walgreens and General Mot...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 02:40 PM

Walgreens and General Motors to End their Membership in ALEC

http://www.colorofchange.org/press/releases/2012/7/26/colorofchange-applauds-walgreens-and-general-motor/

-snip-

ColorOfChange and CREDO Action members began calling Walgreens' corporate offices last week to express concern about the company's relationship with ALEC. On Tuesday, Debbie Garza, Walgreens' divisional vice president of government relations, told ColorOfChange that Walgreens will not renew its membership. Garza emailed ColorOfChange the following statement:

Walgreens will not be renewing its membership in the American Legislative Exchange Council (ďALECĒ) where we have participated on ALECís Health and Human Services Task Force. Walgreens will continue to be an active presence on critical health care and pharmacy issues facing the country and looks forward to continuing to work across the political spectrum in the public policy arena.

On Monday, Bryan Roosa, General Motors' regional director of state government relations, told a ColorOfChange staffer via email that, "GM has communicated to ALEC that we will no longer fund nor participate going forward."

"Walgreens' and GM's recent announcements that they have cut ties with ALEC is further proof that everyday people working together to hold corporations accountable can achieve tremendous change," said ColorOfChange.org Executive Director Rashad Robinson. "The ColorOfChange community applauds these companies' willingness to end their relationships with this right-wing policy group that has worked to suppress the Black vote."

-snip-

WooHoo!!!

Next up... Ebay!

7 replies, 1251 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Walgreens and General Motors to End their Membership in ALEC (Original post)
onestepforward Jul 2012 OP
freshwest Jul 2012 #1
onestepforward Jul 2012 #2
freshwest Jul 2012 #3
benld74 Jul 2012 #4
onestepforward Jul 2012 #5
hobbit709 Jul 2012 #6
onestepforward Jul 2012 #7

Response to onestepforward (Original post)

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 02:47 PM

1. I will be thanking my local Walgreens for this personally.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to freshwest (Reply #1)

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 03:01 PM

2. Me too.

I'll also send an email to both corporate offices to say thanks. I think that positive responses for dropping ALEC are important.

Reply to this post

Response to onestepforward (Reply #2)

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 03:08 PM

3. Yes, I will.

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 03:30 PM

4. How many more on still 'enlisted'?

Reply to this post

Response to benld74 (Reply #4)

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 03:39 PM

5. The list is long, unfortunately.

Scroll down the page a little and you'll see a list of "For-Profit Corporations" here:

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=ALEC_Corporations

Reply to this post

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 04:04 PM

6. So what is the new incarnation called that they are supporting?

It's like fighting the Hydra.

Reply to this post

Response to hobbit709 (Reply #6)

Thu Jul 26, 2012, 05:45 PM

7. It is like fighting a Hydra,

but I do have hope that perhaps corporations will think twice before joining with a similar group. They are being watched more closely now.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread